A few weeks ago, I wrote a post about my top ten insecurities (link for this is below). However, focusing on the negatives of oneself is easy- the hard part is honing in on the parts we like. This is something I struggle with as well. When I look in a mirror, the first things I notice are the pieces I don’t like. However, if you force yourself to focus more on the parts you actually like, looking in the mirror isn’t such a negative experience. So in order to counter balance for my top 10 flaws, here are the the top 10 things I love about myself.
- My Hair: My hair has always been my “thing.” Whether it’s in a pixie cut or down to my shoulders, it is always my favorite part of myself. I love to change it and explore different styles and cuts. (I have some serious hair styling skills.) I love the bright blonde, the thickness, and especially the confidence it gives me. Because while I may not be able to be perfect, my hair can be.
- My Intelligence: As wonderful as being smart is, this is something I struggled to love about myself for a very long time. It is not always easy being the “smart girl.” In fact, it can be really hard sometimes. However, at the end of the day I know that my critical thinking skills and executive functioning will help me go far in life. I have good problem solving skills and can be very innovative. I often notice things others don’t and can think my way through many challenges. Looks will fade, but intelligence tends to grow.
- My Humor: I have the kind of humor where I am very easily entertained. I often find myself laughing at the little things just as much as I laugh at everything else. They say laughter is the best medicine, and I feel that this is true. I have used humor as a coping skill for many tough things in my life. I also love spreading laughter, which is something that usually comes easily to me. I feel that my humor is one of top three best qualities, and I love it.
- My Hands and Fingernails: This may seem like a strange thing to love about myself, however I simply love my hands and nails. My hands are small with long fingers, which I feel is more feminine. They are soft (due to my lotion addiction) and just pretty. Can hands be pretty? I also love my fingernails, because they are strong and thick. This means that they grow to be very long and pretty. This means I get to paint them in different patterns and colors all time. This helps because even on my worst days, at least my nails are pretty.
- My Empathy and Compassion: I pride myself on this more than anything else. Everyday, I try my hardest to be a good person. I am not perfect, so sometimes I slip, but at the end of the day I know that my empathy and compassion keeps me ahead. This helps me to understand people, keep an open mind, and even be more forgiving. I am failing miserably to put this explanation into words, so I will just say this. I firmly believe that empathy is one of the most important qualities for people to have, and I am so glad that I posses so much of it.
- My Creativity: Everyone has creativity in them; some just haven’t yet unlocked it. I have always had an overworked imagination, and this shows in the stories I write, the paintings I make, etc. My creativity has saved my butt on several occasions, especially where school projects were concerned. This is, without a doubt, my favorite quality that I posses.
- My Eyes: In the physical sense of things, my eyes are definitely my favorite. I have always had a fascination with eyes (it is usually the first thing I notice), so it makes sense that this would be my favorite physical feature. The fact that they are green is what I love so much about them. Not only are they my mother’s eyes, but they also make me feel more Irish. I love my Irish heritage, and my green eyes make me feel like I am more a part of it. Sometimes they change colors on me, and take on a bluish hue, but when I look in the mirror, they are always green to me.
- My Resilience: I have always been able to pick myself up and dust myself off, no matter how bad the fall. No matter what happens, I live with the belief that everything will eventually be okay. I am convinced that there is nothing life can throw at me that I won’t be able to handle.
- My Make-Up Skills: I love doing my makeup- it’s like painting a canvas, and I’m pretty damn good at it. I don’t do it as much as I used to, but when I do, my makeup is on point. I can look at picture of eye makeup, and can usually replicate it, or even alter it. I love doing makeup because it is something that not only makes me feel pretty, but it is something that I am good at.
- My Thighs: This also appeared on my top 10 insecurities. This was not a mistake: I have a love/hate relationship with my thighs. I love how they are bigger than average, because they look so powerful. They make me feel empowered, and I love them for that.
After writing all of this, I can’t help but feel arrogant. I do not like to brag about myself, so this post is something I really struggled with. I didn’t want to come off as full of myself, because that’s not who I am. However, we have all earned bragging rights. Every person in the world has the right to talk to themselves up, and point out what they like about themselves. We spend so much time picking out our flaws and putting ourselves down, because we have been taught to believe that it is “impolite” to talk yourself up. I call crap on that: you have the divine right to build yourself up. Don’t be afraid to call yourself pretty or smart or whatever else you are. We all have something to be proud of, so own it. Own it as much as you want. No one is going to do it for you, so be proud of who you are.
Link to “My Top 10 Insecurities”